The NERC Research Experience Placement (REPS) scheme aims to address both thematic skills gaps as well as demographic and diversity-related challenges in the environmental sciences by offering funding to support paid summer placements for undergraduate students, during which they will carry out research projects within the scope of the environmental sciences.
ACCE has two placements available for Summer 2022 at the University of Liverpool.
Placements will be paid (minimum £9.50 per hour), with £500 provided for research costs, and can be undertaken full- or part-time. There are no further funds available for relocation or living expenses and students must be resident in the UK during the placement. Successful students and supervisors will be required to complete a report on the outcome of the placement.
Students must be:
- Undertaking their first undergraduate degree studies (or integrated Masters). Note that students in their final year who have already graduated, are not eligible.
- Eligible for subsequent NERC PhD funding – please see here for details of eligibility for PhD studentships.
Applications for 2022 are now closed.
In order to be considered for a placement, please apply to the main supervisor providing the following:
- A cover letter detailing your motivation to apply
- A recent CV
- A reference from your personal tutor/academic advisor
- An interim transcript if available
Please also complete the online EDI form (this form is a recommended part of the application process, but contains ‘prefer not to say’ options for all questions asked).
- Applications are screened for eligibility
- Supervisors nominate candidates for confirmation by the host organisation ACCE REP panel.
Candidates will be selected according to the following criteria:
- Fit to project
- Enthusiasm for environmental research
- Potential interest in research career
- Fit to identified skills gaps.